Helloo, welcome to the 50th birthday celebrations. Not of Doctor Who, 50 years of me watching Doctor Who! Life was hard back in the day, I basically lived in Coronation Street, Mining Town Mansfield. We had outside lavvies (oh those spiders were huge!), pittlepots under the bed (oh the mess when you knocked it over), no heating, no bath (tin bath filled with a kettle in the front room), blankets made from old pullovers, no cars, no phones, old clothes and one expensive luxury item on HP: a television. Heaven! It transported me to magical black and white worlds of fantasy and music, and it continues to do the same (albeit in colour) 50 years on…
My 12 strongest 60’s Doctor Who fragments of memories, and then a treat: yes, my schoolbook reviews of Doctor Who episodes age 7, Feb 1965. If the futuristic, unthinkable fantasy world of the internet had existed then, I would have posted my drawings and comments to other fans. I had to make do with my teacher and mum as my audience. Fortunately mum spent 50 years loving Doctor Who too (and all sci fi) even if these days she can’t hold on to the recent memories, so she was a fan tooJ
Hope you like ‘em, who knows maybe these are the world’s earliest fan boy musings still in existence!
1. The first episode. Susan going inside the Tardis, It was huuuuge inside and tiny outside. Wow! Her grandfather was a bit grumpy and scary!
2. Daleks. Oh they were soooo scary, the exterminate ray gun, you could almost feel it going off!
3. The butterfly woman who got her head stuck in a wall, oh I was so shocked she died. The giant ants were a bit scary.
4. Going to the pictures to see the films: the Daleks were colourful, who knew!? Bernard Cribbins was in everything, but he wasn’t singing Right Said Fred, sadly.
5. The spooky toymaker and his scary toys.
6. Katrina grabbing the handle in the tardis airlock and killing herself. I was genuinely upset.
7. The new Doctor. He was even better than the first one, and Polly, Ben and Jamie I loved them!
8. The Yeti in the London underground, that was scary! I’d been on it many times by then….
9. The Cybermen: Oh. My. God. Scariest monsters EVER. Nightmares!
10. The Ice Warriors hissing evil. More Nightmares, especially all those bubbles.
11. That scene of Victoria stood on the beach as the Tardis flew off. Oh no!
12. The Doctor, Zoe and Jamie: my absolute favouritist line-up, and my all-time fave episode The Mind Robber, spinning tardis control panel, exploding Tardis, fake Jamie, picture-puzzle faces, weirdness and disturbing (but fab!)